6 Upcoming Events
- 29/10/2021Find ticketsDolans Warehouse - Limerick City, LK Gruff Rhys Oct 29 20:00Friday 20:00Dolans Warehouse - Limerick City, LKGruff Rhys
- 30/10/2021Find ticketsLiberty Hall Theatre - Dublin Gruff Rhys Oct 30 20:00Saturday 20:00Liberty Hall Theatre - DublinGruff RhysLow Availability
International Events4 Events
- 23/10/2021Saturday 19:00Albert Hall - Manchester, Great BritainGruff Rhys Plus Bill Ryder-JonesOn partner siteFind ticketsAlbert Hall - Manchester, Great Britain Gruff Rhys Plus Bill Ryder-Jones Oct 23 19:00Find ticketsAlbert Hall - Manchester, Great Britain Gruff Rhys Plus Bill Ryder-Jones Oct 23 19:00 On partner siteOn partner site
- 26/10/2021Find ticketsO2 Academy2 Oxford - Oxford, Great Britain Gruff Rhys Oct 26 19:30Tuesday 19:30O2 Academy2 Oxford - Oxford, Great BritainGruff Rhys
- 27/10/2021Find ticketsElectric Ballroom - London, Great Britain Gruff Rhys Oct 27 19:00 On partner siteWednesday 19:00Electric Ballroom - London, Great BritainGruff RhysOn partner site
- 02/11/2021Find ticketsWedgewood Rooms - Portsmouth, Great Britain Gruff Rhys Nov 02 19:30 On partner siteTuesday 19:30Wedgewood Rooms - Portsmouth, Great BritainGruff RhysOn partner site
About Gruff Rhys
Through nine albums with Super Furry Animals, two with Neon Neon and handful of solo LPs, Gruff Rhys has distinctively documented the lives of others. Across those records, tales of gentleman rogue Howard Marks, controversial automobile engineer John DeLorean and communist publisher Giangiacomo Feltrinelli have rubbed shoulders with Welsh children’s TV staple Sali Mali, one half of outré-music duo Sparks and Grand Slamming sister act Venus & Serena. Each time, those stories have been set to pop music heavily seeped in timeless melody and wide-eyed wonder. American Interior may well be Gruff’s most fully realised character study yet. A warm and moving study of a true outsider life, it tells a story so far-fetched, it could only ever be true.
The album (along with complimentary book, film and digital app) follows the path set by John Evans, a North Walian who set off on a quest to find the Madogwys - a legendary tribe of light skinned, Welsh speaking native Americans. An untrained cartographer, the map Evans made of his journey went beyond the known borders of the United States and ended up becoming the guide for Lewis and Clark’s Corps of Discovery Expedition (1804 – 1806). Gruff’s own exploration of Evans’ life took him from a Native American sagebrush ceremony in an arts centre in Canton,Cardiff to the heart of Mandan country in North Dakota. Along the way, he undertook an ‘investigative concert tour’ that wound its way from Yale University all the way to Memphis; a tour that would help cement his reputation as a social historian and master storyteller. As a direct result of that nine-date tour and extensive research undertaken on the way, Gruff returned home as arguably the world’s leading authority on Evans’ incredible life.
In anyone else’s hands, John Evans’ life would have been realised in blacks, whites and greys. In Gruff’s hands it’s a truly cinematic vision rendered in psychotropic surround sound; a fully immersive topographical, time-travelling rock’n’roadtrip. As a record, American Interior sits proudly next to his very best – the result of two decades honing a truly unique musical vision. If this is an outsider’s vision, long may Gruff Rhys continue to map out the peripheries.